Sunday, February 21, 2010

French Vanilla Chai Tea Mix

       Who can resist the sweet aromatic smell that sets off your senses ... a good hot cup of Chai Tea?  Not the clear mild kind, but the rich, creamy, bursting with flavor kind.  I found this recipe about a year ago and "tweaked" it (as I usually do) to my liking...I hope you like it too.
    I usually double this recipe and give it as "Food Gifts" at Christmas, Birthday's or Just Because Friend Gifts.  It's beautiful in a clear celephane bag with pretty ribbons and a little note on hot to make it.  I usually include the recipe too. Enjoy the medicinal and relaxing qualities of a cup of Chai.   Bon Appetite!



French Vanilla Chai Tea Mix


INGREDIENTS:


1 cup nonfat dry milk

1 cup powdered nondairy creamer

1 cup french vanilla flavored powdered nondairy creamer -- ***see sub note below

2 1/2 cups white sugar

1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea

2 teaspoons ground ginger

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground clove

1 teaspoon ground cardamom


** Substitution for French Vanilla creamer: pour 2 teaspoons pure vanilla or extract over the white sugar listed above before doing anything else. Let it dry out overnight. Break the sugar into small pieces and proceed with blending all ingredients.

DIRECTIONS:

     In a Large bowl, combine milk powder, non-dairy creamer, vanilla flavored creamer (or vanilla/sugar mixture), sugar and instant tea with a wire whisk. Continue mixing in the ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. In food processor (blender will work satisfactory), blend 1 cup at a time, until mixture is the consistency of fine powder.  Store in airtight container.
    To serve: Stir in 2 heaping tablespoons Chai Tea Mix into a mug of  8 oz hot water. Use up to 4 for the large travel mugs.  My daughter also like to freeze the mixture and blend for an "Iced French Vanilla Chai Tea".

Serving Ideas : Wonderful Gift idea placed in a nice jar with a note for serving instruction.

NOTES : You can spice it up even further by adding 1 teaspoon nutmeg and allspice and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper.

       I will try to do a better job of updating with more requested recipes in the future!  Pillsbury Bake-Off is only 49 Days until we travel to Orlando to compete!  I am so excited!

       Have the kind of day that you need today and come visit my Blog again soon!

6 comments:

  1. Love this tea recipe! Unusual and it looks great. What fun you are competing in the Pillsbury Bake Off. I've collected their little books for years and years.
    My first time visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, we've been enjoying this at work. It's very delicious and comforting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara and Kay...Glad you are enjoying the Chai Tea. It is a FAV in our house! Thanks for following..I'll try to bring you new recipes often...it's been a little busy lately with the Bake-Off...so excited to go in April. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the Chai! Here goes my high maintenance side. It was too spicy for me! I'm a lightweight. What is the peppery taste? You're a food scientist, what does it need less of for the weaker brethren?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret...you could try cutting the cloves and cardamom on half so 1/2 teaspoon each. Personal taste. You could also use less mix per cup. The sample mix you had was also with Fat-Free Creamer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I give you a sample of the stuff I order on line and you match it?...In all your spare time of course... :)

    ReplyDelete